Chief Development Officer
Reports to – Co-CEOs
Baby2Baby is a national non-profit organization that provides children living in poverty with diapers, formula, clothing, and the basic necessities that every child deserves, serving more than one million children across all 50 states every year. Over the past 12 years, Baby2Baby has distributed over 375 million items– more than any organization of its kind – to children in homeless shelters, domestic violence programs, foster care, hospitals and underserved schools as well as children who have lost everything in the wake of disaster. Baby2Baby was recognized as the #1 non-profit on Fast Company’s World’s Most Innovative Companies List and named by TIME Magazine as one of 2023’s most influential companies.
As Baby2Baby has entered a stage of significant opportunity and growth, we seek a dynamic, creative, and entrepreneurial development professional who can lead a vibrant team and provide strategic leadership in development.
This Chief Development Officer will be critical in expanding and strengthening development efforts to raise more than $16 million per year. This will take place through thoughtful relationship-building, the oversight of development systems and best practices for the organization, and close partnership with the co-CEOs and internal and external stakeholders.
The ideal candidate for this role will be collaborative, entrepreneurial, process-oriented, energetic, and adaptable. This will be someone who is well-versed in fundraising best practices, with the experience to develop strategic and effective fundraising plans, execute to meet objectives, and problem-solve independently.
This Chief Development Officer will work Monday-Friday at 5830 W. Jefferson Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90016. The work is performed in an office setting and is currently in office on site at least 3 days per week. This is evolving and subject to change.
Duties and Responsibilities
Main Position Objectives
- Develops and implements a strategic development plan that creates the infrastructure needed to support a sustainable, growing program and broadens the engagement of individual, foundation and corporate donors significantly.
- Identifies new and existing major donors and foundations with greater capacity to give to the organization and ensures an effective moves management system that cultivates increased support.
- Develops a portfolio of donors that will generate $5M+ personally, to support $15M+ as a department.
Fundraising Strategy, Major Gifts & Implementation
- In partnership with the CEOs and Board leadership, builds and implements a transformational giving program that regularly presents six+-figure giving opportunities to donors and prospects.
- Personally, manages and grows a diverse portfolio of major donors (including individuals, family foundations, and corporations) focusing on a pipeline of six and seven-figure gifts.
- Develops and delivers a clearly defined major gifts fundraising strategy, including short and long-term measurable KPIs and growth goals for each fundraising channel, members of the team, and yourself.
- Assesses existing development activities, identifies areas with potential for short- and long-term growth, and builds plans and strategies to pursue both.
- Works with organizational leadership to build a compelling, long-term case for support.
- Ensures the creation and effective implementation of fundraising tools, materials, and messaging for marketing and fundraising purposes.
- Partners with the Chief Finance Officer to ensure budgeting and accounting standards and policies are established and met.
- Oversees and drives fundraising best practices, including systems utilization, prospecting, donor reporting, data review, and donor communications.
- Oversees prospect research and cultivation of new funding sources.
- Develops and executes the major donor fundraising strategy for the annual gala, donor events and other experiences.
- Leads, manages, develops, and mentors the development team in a manner that ensures a successful comprehensive fundraising program.
- Provides oversight and guidance to the development team in monitoring and reporting fundraising progress and development metrics to executive leadership and Board of Directors.
- Supports development team members in acquisition, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship activities with key current and prospective donors.
- Fosters collaboration and communication within the development department and across the organization to ensure broad understanding of programmatic needs and impact.
- Works in partnership with leadership and development team members to build Gala strategy to maximize fundraising through table sales, major gifts, and auction revenue streams.
- Leads strategy for Baby2Baby’s Fund-a-Need to maximize live fundraising at the Gala, alongside pre-committed giving.
- Oversees all donor facing materials including but not limited to invitation suite, personalized solicitations, major gift opportunities, live giving opportunities, auction materials, and thank you strategies.
- Oversees development team to engage leadership and ambassadors to help solicit gifts from their networks and guests.
- Works with the Executive Leadership to review feasibility studies and develop campaign strategy when applicable.
- Identifies prospects on the individual, corporation, and foundation levels.
- Identifies and cultivates capital campaign steering committee and Board members.
- Creates and edits campaign communications, such as acknowledgments, follow-up letters, and newsletters, with the support staff.
- Devises and manages logistics for cultivation events, coordinating publicity as appropriate, with the Co-CEOs and support staff.
- 10+ years of progressively responsible experience in advancement as both a senior level manager with a record of accomplishment leading a team, and as a frontline gift officer soliciting and closing gifts of $100K+.
- 12+ years of successful nonprofit fundraising experience with a focus on major gifts.
- 5+ years of experience successfully growing and developing teams.
- A bachelor’s degree
- Understanding of, and experience with the philanthropic communities in Los Angeles or New York.
- Demonstrated experience with diverse funding streams including individuals, corporations, foundations, and special events.
- Demonstrated experience cultivating and soliciting six- and seven-figure gifts.
- Changemaker with proven experience developing and operationalizing fundraising strategies to take an organization to a new stage of growth and impact.
- Proven ability to successfully manage the day-to-day functioning of a department and effectively supervise staff and create and manage complex budgets, forecasts, and reporting.
- Experience in building and managing a development department and mentoring development staff and fundraisers toward increasing levels of success.
- Proven ability to balance being both a strategic and hands-on development leader while partnering with CEOs to drive transformative growth.
- Demonstrated success in working collaboratively with senior leadership teams and board members.
- Ability to recruit and hire development staff with the skillsets to have immediate impact; proven experience retaining and motivating staff to achieve and exceed goals.
- Proficiency using data to establish a robust donor pipeline and strategy for sustainable growth.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with proven ability to tell a compelling story.
- Unquestionable personal and professional integrity and unflinching commitment to operational excellence, data-driven decision making, and ethical standards.
- Experience overseeing use and administration of fundraising CRM (i.e., Salesforce) is required.
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively and bring fresh ideas and approaches to development initiatives. Flexibility, drive, and a “roll-up-your-sleeves” approach.
- Fundraising experience at large scale organizations with a national and / or international reach providing basic essentials to low-income families, preferred.
- Members of the Development department including the Senior Director, Development.
This role’s salary range is between $130k – $160k. Actual salary is determined based on a number of factors, including but not limited to your relevant skills, qualifications, and years of experience.
Baby2Baby is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to fostering diversity within its staff. We have made diverse thinking a priority in order to keep our organization in touch with the needs of families in our program and to help hold us accountable to those we serve. Our organization strives for diversity, from the children we serve to our board and staff, not only in race, age, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, and religion but also in cultural background and life experiences.