Director of Finance
Reports to COO
Baby2Baby is a national non-profit organization that provides children living in poverty with diapers, formula, clothing, and the basic necessities that every child deserves, serving more than one million children across all 50 states every year. Over the past 12 years, Baby2Baby has distributed over 375 million items– more than any organization of its kind – to children in homeless shelters, domestic violence programs, foster care, hospitals and underserved schools as well as children who have lost everything in the wake of disaster. Baby2Baby was recognized as the #1 non-profit on Fast Company’s World’s Most Innovative Companies List and named by TIME Magazine as one of 2023’s most influential companies.
Reporting to the COO, the Director of Finance, in conjunction with the outsourced accounting team, will be responsible for the organization’s finances and financial forecasting as well as oversee and help execute the general accounting, grant tracking and management, internal process reviews, and external tax and audit preparation. The Director of Finance will work with the COO to set financial policy and direction while also contributing to the organization’s financial planning. This individual will collaborate with the Co-CEOs, COO, external accounting team, and Head of Human Resources to review the organization and program budgets, cost allocations, and payroll and benefits administration.
The Director of Finance will work Monday-Friday at 5830 W. Jefferson Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90016. The work is performed in an office setting and is currently in office or on site 3 – 5 days per week.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Works with the Co-CEOs and COO on the organization’s financial, budgeting, and administrative processes with an eye to continuously developing and improving systems.
- Partners with COO to ensure program success through cost analysis support and compliance with all contractual and program requirements.
- In collaboration with Noble Accounting, ensures accurate accounting activities for both cash and in-kind transactions, and excellent internal controls in processes that generate accounting transactions.
- In collaboration with Noble Accounting, prepares monthly and annual financial reporting materials and metrics for Baby2Baby’s staff, directors, and board of directors.
- Collaborates with department heads to develop and update financial plans including department budgets and actuals.
- In collaboration with the COO, liaises with investment advisors, ensuring investment portfolio is managed in keeping with the organization’s policies and risk tolerance.
- Manages ongoing budgeting, financial forecasting, cash reporting, and monitoring of banking activities.
- In partnership with the fundraising teams, projects and tracks all gala related expenses.
- Provides analysis and projections for the potential purchase and renovation of a building.
- Ensures accurate reporting of cash and in-kind transactions; develop and maintain excellent internal controls to monitor program costs and operating expenses.
- Remains current on changes to all laws and pertinent local, state, and federal guidelines which may impact the financial and administrative operations of the organization; interpret and advise on implications of these changes.
- Presents monthly/annual financial reports and key operating metrics to leadership team and Board of Directors; prepare other reports and materials as needed for prospective and existing donors as well as the Board of Directors.
- Oversees contract management for vendor and donor relationships.
- Manages insurance renewals and rates including Workers’ Comp, Liability, and other policies.
- Works closely with Human Resources on payroll and benefits administration.
- Other duties as needed.
- At least 8 years’ professional experience, including financial leadership in a $10+ million organization.
- Financial management and accounting experience in the nonprofit sector; ideally prior experience tracking and reporting in-kind gifts and government grants.
- Proficiency in the tenets of nonprofit legal, audit, compliance, and resource development.
- Experience working in an organization that was running a campaign.
- Resourcefulness in setting priorities, proposing new ways of creating efficiencies, and guiding investment in people and systems.
- Strong technical skills including expertise with spreadsheets.
- Budget forecasting experience in a complex organization with diverse revenue streams.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Management or Finance; M.B.A. strongly preferred.
- Will require some work outside of a traditional Monday through Friday work week and outside normal business hours.
This role’s salary range is between $100k – $130k. Actual salary is determined based on a number of factors, including but not limited to your relevant skills, qualifications, and years of experience.
Baby2Baby is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to fostering diversity within its staff. We have made diverse thinking a priority in order to keep our organization in touch with the needs of families in our program and to help hold us accountable to those we serve. Our organization strives for diversity, from the children we serve to our board and staff, not only in race, age, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, and religion but also in cultural background and life experiences.